Sunday, July 26, 2009

Streak Days 25 - 26

Saturday morning was a bright and early 5.6 miles walk as Libby and I marked the 5K, 10K and 15K courses for the “A Dollar a K” race in the morning. Our original plan was to run, but we quickly discovered we could not run holding 15 orange utility flags, the course map AND watch our Garmin for mileage markings. Not to mention we couldn’t talk either!

The rest of the day was spent purchasing supplies, getting the water station supplies ready, putting mile marker signs in order (note: the return signs for three overlapping distances is a challenge), cutting bagels then finally loading the car. I also spent all afternoon following hubby online as he playing in his first Amateur golf tournament. He was in the lead then lost by one stroke :) He supports me and I support him. I always say “golf and running make our marriage very happy”.

Oddly enough, I felt guilty all day because I had not run my daily 5K. As soon as hubby got home I headed out the door to run three miles in the neighborhood. He brought the dogs out for a walk and they immediately tracked me down. I stopped at two miles, but all guilt was gone as I was being loved by my happy little family and we had much to celebrate.

Sunday was a whole different story! I was up at 4:30 am to set up the Heels and Hills course. Two of our volunteers had cancelled at the last minute so I was scrambling to put out all of the markers and set up the water stations. Did I mention the race started 30 minutes earlier than normal? Earlier in the week I had naively thought I might have time check out the course during the event by running from the 15K turn around to the 10K turn around and back for my 5K. That never happened and all I did was drive, drive, drive during the entire event and saw almost none of the participants. I just smiled as this is the life of an "Operations" Race Director. Libby is "Technology" Race Director and we make a great team!!

Although I was completely exhausted when I returned home and it was already 90 degrees I knew I had better run my 5K immediately or it would never happen. It was pure adrenaline that kept the streak alive, including negative splits and sub 11 avg pace.

Sat walked 5.6 miles to mark the H&H 5K, 10K, 15K course
Sat 21:29 – 11:10, 10:28 (Avg 10:49)
Sun 33:35 – 11:12, 10:47, 10:37, 00:58 (Avg 10:50)

No comments:

Post a Comment