Sunday, July 19, 2009

Streak Days 18 - 19

Saturday was the first time I have run at White Rock Lake since training for Houston Marathon in January. I was soooo burned out on looping the lake every weekend for almost one year and needed a break. That burn out plus work challenges resulted in only 5 short runs in 4 months. What a train wreck after running 2-3 times a week for over a year… Thank you to Libby and Sarah for offering to drive to “my side” of the Metroplex and for jump starting my running. Now we run every weekend and rotate between Campion Trails or Chisholm Trail.

What a fun run it was!! Our plan was to wear our Heels and Hills pink and cheer on the DRC training groups and those running the Too Hot Too Handle 5K/15K. We picked our start location so that we could see the DRC training group at their turn around point and also cheer the THTH runners twice. An added bonus was seeing so many Galloway runners that I met 4-5 years ago when I was the Program Director and they were training for their FIRST marathon. I love, love, love running and helping others reach their new running and walking goals! Again, what a fun run it was! Libby wanted to run a 12:00 minute pace, but I “knew” she could run faster and still have energy to talk and cheer. Again, the NYC half is 30 days away and Libby’s “long term” goal is an 11:30 pace. We averaged 11:20ish for the first five miles, walked and talked mile 6, then averaged 11:15ish for the final three miles. For added excitement, Libby wanted to run the extra .3 in hopes of a new 15K PR. Had it not been for the fun, fun, fun mile six she would have gotten her PR. For me, right now, I simply love running!

I was a little sad when I went to bed Saturday night as lots of runners were getting ready for the midnight start of El Scorcho 25K/50K. I know running in the dark in July sounds crazy, but El Scorcho really is a neat event. I ran it in 2008 and the heat kicked my butt. Common sense prevailed this year…

Sunday’s run was another daily 5K in the July streak. My plan was to run early in hopes the cooler temps would allow me to try a few mile repeats. I was more tired than I realized and opted to be lazy and sleep in. The downside of sleeping eleven hours is that I didn’t start runing until 9:00 and it was getting warm. The good news is my pace was good and I felt strong. The best news of all is that Todd waited for me to finish running then we headed to the golf course together!

Sat 01:51:40 – 11:17, 11:36, 11:38, 11:11, 11:30, 17:41, 11:20, 11:12, 11:07, 03:05 (Avg 12:00)
Sun 33:47 – 11:18, 10:45, 10:43, 01:02 (Avg 10:55)

No comments:

Post a Comment