Saturday, February 28, 2009

Cowtown ULTRA Marathon

My Bucket List

For me, The Cowtown Ultra Marathon was about my Bucket List. Tera (Asst RD) and I have been friends since 2000. We visited at the WR expo to discuss my Bucket List and the Ultra Marathon. I e-mailed her to confirm I would register for the ultra while at the Houston Marathon expo. Imagine the look of shock when Libby and Peggy realized I was registering for the ultra!

Is the Bucket List debatable when race morning temps are 40 degrees with 25+ mph winds??? No, there can be no debate. The Bucket List is about living life to the fullest so I take what the day gives me, lace up my shoes, then I go for it! Not only am I running the Ultra by myself, there are only 140 runners registered for the Ultra. (118 finishers)

Race Plan
Plan A: complete the Ultra (12:00+ goal pace – thanks Coach Cathy)
Plan B: split off at mile 8 with the half marathoners
Plan C: split off at mile 23 with the marathoners

Race thoughts and mile splits (13:07 avg pace)
M1: 11:12 Yes, it is cold and windy!! I hate gloves, but I should have brought them. Thank goodness for the trash bag I snagged from the side of the road and my new shirt with thumb holes. (expo sale)
M2: 11:07 Maybe I’ll run with the 5:15 pace group. Not working.
M3: 11:03
M4: 10:50
M5: 11:23 WOW, now the marathon starts! I hear Cathy saying “slow down”.
M6: 11:26 Stop to remove one layer of clothing. Why did I overdress?? Libby is surely cussing me.
M7: 12:10 See first person with an Ultra bib – Hector. Are the other 138 runners all ahead of us?
M8: 11:39 The half marathoners split off. Plan B is no more.
M9: 11:45 Focus on slowing to a 12:00+ pace. Walk the up hills. Run the down hills.
M10: 12:08 More focus on a slower pace plus a 30 second port-a-let stop.
M11: 11:55
M12: 11:54 Déjà vu - enter Trinity Park. Home of El Scorch 25K. The Bucket List 2008.
M13: 11:49
M14: 12:44 Déjà vu – Colonial Golf - In 2000, I came to run 8 miles of a relay, but ran 18 miles.
M15: 12:44
M16: 14:11 The sunshine is beautiful. I am soooo overdressed!
M17: 14:27 Stop to remove wind vest and push up leggings. Why didn’t I wear shorts?
M18: 13:20 No wind, but lots of shade. Now I am cold. Re-apply the layers. Why didn’t I bring gloves?
M19: 16:19 The North wind is almost stopping me in my tracks! This is two miles of a gradual uphill…
M20: 16:09 Call Todd at home. WHAT is the deal with the wind? He says “28 mph gusting to 34 mph”
M21: 14:06 Call Jean-Maria. You ran the half marathon, go home. No need to wait for me to finish.
M22: 14:57 Call Libby. I am closer to 13:00 pace. Stay at the hotel. Plenty of time for a nap!
M23: 13:52 The marathoners split off. Plan C is no more. Déjà vu –El Scorcho start/finish line.
M24: 15:30 El Scorcho was at midnight and hot as hell. Now it is the unrelenting damn North wind!!
M25: 14:38 This area is wide open, but it seemed so narrow when only a flash light guided the way. M26: 16:08 One more mile into the wind, up hill then U-turn. Will I ever enjoy running at Trinity Park?
M27: 13:12 With the wind at my back, running along the Trinity River is fun. Maybe I like Trinity Park.
M28: 13:43 Pick it up, but save energy. Jean-Maria said the final two miles are up hill.
M29: 12:39 Enjoy the slight down hill. Tera hugs me and screams “Paula is an Ultra Marathoner”!
M30: 13:48 Yes, it is up hill. Hector goes out of sight as he enters the final turns.
M31: 13:40 More up hill and twisty turns. Then the FINISH LINE!!!

Finish Line Celebrations
The 17,000+ runners and their spectators were all gone. Only the finish line clock and banners remained as the final ultra marathoners finished, but who cared?? Todd, Libby and Jean-Maria were loudly cheering me as I completed the final half mile. After I crossed the finish line they all came over to give me congratulatory hugs. I was blessed by having the opportunity to share this experience with them. More great news followed as I learned that both Libby and Jean-Maria had a PR in the half marathon! Although, the ultra marathon was about my Bucket List I will return to Cowtown for the next four year as it will take five finisher medals to complete the star. Click here to read about the
Five Year Medal Star.

No comments:

Post a Comment